Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Tiger Trouble Continues for Nike...


As much as I am so sick of hearing and talking about the Tiger Woods crisis and its effects on Nike this semester, I really feel as though I can't let this week go by without posting about Nike's new ad featuring Tiger Woods, which coincided with Tiger's return to golf at the Master's Tournament.

I'm sure by now just about everyone has seen the actual ad itself--or the SNL spoof, which I posted below--which features the voice of Earl Woods, Tiger's father who passed away in 2006. The solemn image of Tiger's faced has been plastered on the news, internet, newspapers and magazines for days now--and there has also been lots of chatter on Facebook and blogs revealing that many people have VASTLY different views on the ad.


2141234312
Uploaded by yardie4lifever2. - More video blogs and vloggers.

Here is just one example of the extensive coverage the story received on ABC's Good Morning America!

When I asked students around campus the reviewed were mixed. Some said they were outraged at how Nike seems to exploit Tiger Woods' return to golf and his relationship with his late father. Others said they weren't surprised because sensational advertising has been typical of Nike for years now and they didn't expect anything less after the very sensationalized Woods scandal.

Personally, the first time I saw the commercial I was shocked--it was definitely not what I was expecting and my first thought was, "WHAT WAS NIKE THINKING?!?!?" However, the ad has had less of a negative impact on Nike then I expected. In the University of Washington's online newspaper a student writes Nike needed to address the Tiger scandal publicly in order to move past it, which I definitely agree with!

Maybe now I can FINALLY stop blogging and Tweeting about Tiger Woods---well after I finish my YouTube video :)

0 comments: